Your Ad Here

Monday, September 27

Are you blessed? Mat 5: 10-12

I am studying the book of Matthew and this time reading it with more intent. More accurately reading it to really understand.

"Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God" (Mat 4:4)

And with that said.. I won't survive this walk with the Lord if I only taste His word, but I must also chew, swallow and digest His word. I implore you to do the same. It is amazing how many times I read the Bible ,that each time, I learn more and more.  Once again, I am falling in love with the Bible.. I am so excited :)

So are you blessed? You often hear the word "blessed" being used to describes someones situation or character. It is a positive word used synonymously with "favored". In short the word blessed is a grace word that expresses the special joys and satisfaction granted to the person who experiences salvation. 

Matthew 5 introduces us to the Beatitudes. Where the Beatitudes describe the essential character of kingdom citizens. Each Beatitude includes a pronouncement of blessing, a description of the ones considered as blessed, and an explanation (for)of the blessing. You can read them here

Matthew chapter 5 verse 10-12 were the verses that I was lead to meditate over and wanted to share with you. These verses are the last of the beatitudes. They read:

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. (Mat 5:10-12 NIV)

When reading it, I came to the realization that Christians forget that they will be persecuted for being Christ's follower. Not only will they be tempted (enticed) by satan himself, but also be shunned by the world in which we live. It was never "in fashion" to be a Christian. It may be a little more socially accepted today than in the Biblical days, and I emphasize the word LITTLE.  Let us not forget that Christ Himself was beat down, insulted, stripped and killed for being who He was. So what more should we expect?

Let me try and put this into perspective. What ever you choose to follow in your life, the reason you follow it and aim to be like it, is because you have already seen the results of doing that thing through someone else life. For example, if I had seen that that result of beating people up and stealing would result in me going to jail, and I wanted to go to jail, then that is the route I would have taken. Or, if I saw that taking a particular path through the dark forest would take me home, then, if that was the only path I could take, then that would be the route I would take. In saying that I know, by Faith, and by His word that I want to follow Christ, because without Him I cannot make Heaven my home and I cannot be forgiven (another blog altogether) :)

So I choose to follow Christ, like the disciples did.  I choose to live my life the way God has called me to. I choose to use Christ's example for living life as the way to live my life. All those who are Christians know what I am talking about and for those who claim to be Christians and do not know what I am talking about. Then please READ your Bible and seek God's face. 

As a Christian, I am a Christ follower and Matthew 5:10 tells me that I am blessed if I am persecuted for righteous sake. Basically, I am blessed if I really live like Christ. (Christ was persecuted). Verse 11 tells me that I am blessed if I am insulted and people say all evil things about me for Christ's sake. Altogether it is a badge of honor :). No, it is not easy, but it is worth it.

I experience this type of treatment when I outreach and tell people about Jesus. I never force this down "people's throats" or "Bible bash", but I always let people know the bad news and then the good news that the Gospel brings. Sometimes I do not count it all joy, I'll be honest. I do not always rejoice and sometimes I can be discouraged, thinking I am saying the wrong things when I am mistreated for doing this. Well according to the Word of God, I am doing it right. With that, I shouldn't forget...we shouldn't forget that verse 12 informs us that for the things we are enduring here on the earth for Christ, we have a greater reward in heaven.

Knowing how we are, and how we love to make comparisons with others, God comforts us by ending verse 12 by letting us know that we are not the first to go through it, that the prophets who came before us also went through it. 
So tell someone about Jesus and the good news about the Gospel...you are still blessed if they insult you, shun you and persecuted you. You are on the right path

Be blessed

No comments:

Swidget 1.0

Blog Archive